Thoughts to build communion with God, community with the church and help collide with darkness

My desire is to post my thoughts with the hope that God's people can benefit from them and be prepared to work harder and and fight better. Our enjoyment of God is at stake. Father is anything but a boring, no fun, stick in the mud who wants everyone to wear a tie. He is the creator of the universe and he will blow your mind!

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's easy to think one is superior then...

On my vacation a couple of weeks ago my family and I were sitting at a table in a restaurant eating, laughing and just enjoying vacation when Jennifer and I became aware that we were both listening in on a conversation at a table next to ours. Two men were were talking about church, and it was evident that they came from a tradition and perspective that I would not enjoy and pretty much avoid like the plague.

I found myself critiquing their tradition, style and strategy out loud with Jennifer, when, by what I believe to be the work of the Holy Spirit, I was cut to the heart about my attitude.

Here is the thought that I had:
These two men are talking about the faith. Not heresy. The faith. They are employing a strategy that may be old, out of date and repulsive to you, but they are talking about the faith. They love Christ enough to speak of him publicly. They love Christ enough to care about a strategy to reach the unreached. They have passion enough to attempt to make a difference. They are talking about the faith.

Now for all I believe I could critique them on, they love Christ. They were speaking of the faith that leads to life for all who believe. Faith in King Jesus.

Who am I? Nothing. I'm a fellow slave of Christ who has taken to a different strategy to display Jesus. Who am I to think less of my fellow slaves and their strategy to display the King? Nothing.

Just when I thought my way was best I was reminded that those in the body are growing up into Christ, who is the head of his body.

I am not superior in any way. I am not the head so as to be the author of strategy or style. I am just part of a much larger work. Rather than being arrogant, I should pray for brothers and do my best with my chosen strategy.

Humility is a great way to start over.

No comments: